Calgary police lay charges in Stampede stabbings
Eighteen-year-old Irfan Mohammadi is being charged by Calgary police for three stabbings that occurred earlier this summer at the Calgary Stampede.
Eighteen-year-old Irfan Mohammadi is being charged by Calgary police for three stabbings that occurred earlier this summer at the Calgary Stampede.
In a statement posted to X on Friday, authorities confirmed Mohammadi is now facing three charges of aggravated assault over the incident at the annual summer event.
True North first reported on the alleged triple stabbing in early July.
Three people — two men and a youth — were stabbed on the midway near the Euroside around 11:05 p.m. on July 8, police said.
One man was found at the scene and taken to hospital with life-threatening injuries. The other two victims were found in medical distress at two separate locations not far outside the Stampede grounds and were taken to hospital with serious injuries.
“Investigators confirmed all three individuals were victims of the same stabbing incident,” Calgary police said in a Friday statement.
Police said at the time they believed the people involved in the altercation knew each other. It remains unclear if police still believe this.
Police said an investigation unit carried out witness interviews and reviewed CCTV footage before identifying a suspect.
A search warrant executed Aug. 26 at a Calgary residence led to the seizure of a folding knife and clothing believed to have been used in the attack.
Mohammadi is scheduled to appear in court Sept. 2.