Juno News

Juno News

Additional terrorism charge laid in U.S. consulate bomb threat case

“This is a terrorism offence under the Criminal Code, and it’s defined as a terrorist activity,” federal Crown prosecutor Lee-Ann Conrod told reporters outside the courtroom.

Quinn Patrick
Aug 22, 2026
∙ Paid
Wikimedia Commons

Ali Assakereh, the man accused of threatening to bomb the U.S. consulate in Halifax, is facing a new charge in relation to terrorism and now could face up to 14 years.

The additional charge was laid against the 54-year-old before his bail hearing could begin last week, after federal Crown prosecutor Lee-Ann Conrod said that Assakereh committed another act of terrorism by threatening an internationally protected person.

You won’t get hard-hitting coverage like this from the CBC. Become a Juno News premium subscriber today for more content like this.

User's avatar

Continue reading this post for free, courtesy of Candice Malcolm.

Or purchase a paid subscription.
© 2026 Candice Malcolm · Privacy ∙ Terms ∙ Collection notice
Start your SubstackGet the app
Substack is the home for great culture